Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Like My Bra!

Now that I've hit a half century in my time here on this wonderful planet, I tend to look back over the years and compare the infamous "then and now" scenarios. This is called reflection and it's a good thing. Frankly, I wish more people would take the time to do it because I believe this is where we find common sense lurking behind the tree or hiding in the bushes. While common sense is becoming harder to find, I'm sure it still exists; it's just that there aren't that many people looking for it of late. For example, let's take Alice Paul's Equal Rights Amendment. In the late 60s and early 70s when this was being pushed throughout the country, women were publicly standing up and speaking their mind like never before. They got so excited; they were ripping off their bras and waving them in the air as if that somehow added emphasis to their words. I never understood that because I liked my bra. During these years I was an impressionable young girl, finding my way as most do in their tweens and teens. I didn't even know there a thing called inequality out there. I grew up in a house full of girls so it wasn't prevalent in my life. I never felt lesser than anyone else or that I couldn't be whatever I decided I wanted to be, but evidently, there was that sort of thing going on. I was exposed to a lot of this when I was a member of the local YWCA. Much of what the "hippies" were doing was being shown to us there through the various programs offered and leaders in charge. Because of my involvement with these programs, I was very much a part of this culture. I joined the cause of equal rights for women and participated in much to advance it in my grand state of Maine. After all, why shouldn't we get equal pay for the same position or be considered for the same jobs as men. Who cares if it's a woman or a man in the job as long as the job is done well? And, why can't a woman have a career and be a Mom? Who says our life has to be limiting? God didn't make us unequal; He just assigned one of us with the responsibility in the end and what is wrong with that? There is one that sits at the top of every organization, institution and culture on this planet, so why wouldn't there be one that sits at the top of each family, one that in the end, makes the tough decisions like any CEO or president? Back to the reason for this blog post. The equal rights for women's movement was all about treating women as equals in pay and position. It was good for a woman to have a career and move up the corporate ladder. Many brave women had the honorable privilege to be first in many areas such as corporate, entrepreneurial and political. These worlds, once dominated by men were being invaded by intelligent women everywhere and because of their courage; women in America today are the freest in the world. Being a mother and having a full time job was becoming the norm and we applauded those that took this path. I have walked this path, though not very successfully at times and had decided long ago that it was not for me. Working from home is what works best for me and that is where I stand today. I believe the equal rights movement was good for our country in many ways. A Woman can now make a career choice that's right for her, or she can choose to stay home and raise her children the way she chooses. This is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment